Monday, August 8, 2011

Accra

I have spent the last few nights in Accra. The "big city" in Ghana. It is nice. It is here in Accra that I see the "third world" and the "first world" combine so graciously. Right outside of the 5 star restaurant that serves the 50 cedi (dollar) steaks is a market lady selling fried yam chips for 50 peswas (cents). We are staying at the Salvation Army which is about the cheapest accomidation for backpackers. It's cool. The owner invited me to church Sunday morning, like a good ol' typicaly Ghanaian woman would. I declined and jokingly told her I couldn't go because I was a sinner. She said, "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God". I responded, "I know, but I am heathen". She laughed. I successfully dodged attending another long, loud Ghanaian church service. I bought a lot of cool gifts for people here in Accra. The street vendor workers are A LOT more aggressive here. A young man named Kofi fell in love with me once he saw how hairy my legs are. Apparently, hairy legs are considered very sexy to many African men. I have gotten several compliments since I have decided to go "bush woman". Kofi proceeded to follow me around the market and rub my legs every chance he got. I cursed and smacked him several times to no avail. Ghanaian men are very aggressive and women smacking and cursing them is often considered part of the flirtation process. He was just playing the game, and my pleas for help became a part of it. I was screwed. He kept following me and rubbing my legs through the market. It would have been funny if it weren't so damn annoying. A random Rasta man came to my rescue and told Kofi to go away and stop messing with his sister. Thank God for the Rastas. Jah Bless. Rastafari! Jah will provide.

When I get home I want to spend more time studying other religions. I plan to read the Qu'ran, it it's entirety and study the origins and ideas of Rastafarianism. I see a lot of peace in those religions and I am curious to explore it a bit more...

No comments:

Post a Comment