Thursday, June 23, 2011

Akawaaba!


"Akawaaba" or "Welcome" were the first words that I read when arriving in Ghana. I was prepared though as the time I spent waiting to board the flight at the airport were indicators of what was to come. Women already had babies tied to their backs as they trudged through the airport with 4-7 huge suitcases they were taking home. What they were not dragging behind them they held on their heads. The men were interesting to watch as well. The younger guys are definitely influenced by hip hop culture and had their shades on the entire flight...even when they slept. Speaking of the flight, this was by far the most pleasant flight I have ever experienced. I picked over my complementary dinner, popped an Advil PM and awoke 10 hours later to an announcement that we were descending into Ghana. What more could I ask for. After boarding the plane we went through security and I couldn't help notice all these big Black men in uniforms and how they are often portrayed in media as monsters. Like most, I have been bombarded with ideas that African man+ Uniform = corruption, genocide and lawlessness. It is kinda of scary but in actuality everyone was very nice...Well, that was until we got out of security and everyone started bombarding us with questions, "Can I carry your bags?" "Come pretty girl, I'll give you a cab", "Can you donate to blah, blah, blah". It was expected but it is a bit overwhelming. With that, I immediately knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore. We got a ride from the airport to the University of Accra where we will be spending one night before departing on our missions. The ride was interesting. Ghana is the perfect definition of "developing nation". The first world and the third world co-exist. The Mall of Ghana is as modern as any U.S. mall; however on the way their you pass people sleeping and begging on the roads. Everyone has a cell phone; but many people still shop in open air markets...So far I really like it. I love the fact that everything is so Black. All the billboards are covered with advertisements of Black people, the political pamphlets are covered with Black faces and all the stores in the mall cater to Black folk.s Beautiful. Every African-American should experience this. Even if only for a day. Well I have to go eat dinner now in the meantime I need to stop by my room and freshen up on my "OFF!". I am constantly spraying myself with mosquito repellant. Tomorrow I am off to the village!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome so far. Better, worse, or about the same as Costa Rica as far as development?

    I miss ya. I'm really regretting I missed your phone call today. Why did I leave the cell in the car when I went in the store? I tried calling you using Google Voice. Apparently it's $.20 a minute using Google Voice. I got one of those generic "this number is not able to receive calls" message.

    ReplyDelete