Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Black Girls Get Canned in Ghana









I am not sure if this will come as a surprise to anyone but they are NOT checking for Black girls in Ghana. A few nights ago I was having a meeting with my group and all the white girls were complaining about the number of indecent or marriage proposals they received since we have arrived. I, on the other hand, have not gotten one. I am offended and relieved. From what I understand, African men can be pretty aggressive...but everyone treats me like a little sister. Guess I am the lucky one after all. Well kind of. Because I am Black all the Ghanaians hold me to a higher standard of understanding the culture. Doing anything with your left hand is offensive because people wipe their asses with their left hand and I am having the hardest time remembering not to use my left hand considering that I come from an ambidextrous America. I handed a lady in the market some money with my left hand and she "ughfed" at me in disgust. They also keep trying to force me to learn Twi. I am trying but this is not going to be an overnight thing, especially because it is nothing like the romantic languages that are easier for English speakers to pick up. Most people in Ghana can speak English but you very rarely hear it spoken at all. I have learned two words in Twi. "Memawo-akye" which means "Good morning". I use this word on my morning run so the villagers will stop staring at me. When I say it, they laugh. I have also learn "Medase" which means "thank you" and I use this word after handing someone something with my left hand. It has bought me redemption several times. Today was my first day at work. I am teaching "Section 5 Civics" which equates to about 6th or 7th grade Social Studies. Perfect. The school is very poor and the classrooms are all open which makes it very difficult to teach and hear students responses. I am trying to get the hang of it. Like in many developing communities, students here are taught in rote memorization and repetition fashion. It makes it very difficult for a Social Studies teacher because much of the content is discussion based and debatable. I am trying to get with it though. Today the teacher told me to have the students write from the textbook. Because many of the students can't afford the books, the teachers write word for word from the book and students copy. A lot of work for the teachers, very little thought from the students. This teaching style is not going to breed world leaders. It results in order takers...the last thing this town needs to move it forward. I had a few talkative students. In an attempt to regain order I polled the class, " I think the reason you all are talking so much is because I am a guest. You did not talk this much when your teacher was in the room. You should be even more well behaved with me because I am a guest! What is the difference between me and her?" One mischievous looking boy from the back of the class pops up, "BECAUSE SHE CANES US!" and the class roars with laughter. A girl walks to the front of the class and grabs the cane and hands it to me. Talk about pressure. I playfully informed the class that I did not plan to cane anyone...yet.

Disclaimer: A reader has informed me that I curse to much on my blogs. They have a point. I will offer this disclaimer. If my foul language offends you in any way, please feel free to stop following this blog. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment