Saturday, June 25, 2011

Kakumdo



I have arrived in Kakumdo, a small village outside of Cape Coast, Ghana where I will be spending the next 6 weeks teaching in a local school. Oddly, that is about all I can say. This experience is breathtaking and has left me simply speechless. There is so much to be said. All that shit on t.v. about Africa is so not true...but then again...it is. The people are lovely and gracious; still, many of them are very very poor. It is odd to see t.v.'s that Americans are throwing out on sale for high prices. All of our old clothes, calculators, cars, furniture...it is right here in Kakumdo being sold and bought in markets. Everyone is buying and selling, yet so many people are unemployed. There is a lot of standing around. The food is amazing but the diet is very starchy. I need to make sure I run every morning. It is HOT! Which presents a major problem for me...I packed a lot of shorts to prepare for the climate but the women here don't really wear shorts. The dress is very conservative. I am going to go to the market and have someone make me some long loose skirts. I can get them custom made for close to nothing. Great for me! Bad for Ghana's economy...I'll be sure to give her a big tip. The picture that I have included in today's blog are of the view outside of my apartment. The goats live downstairs. Last night I took my first bucket bath. (I was COVERED in dirt because it is very dusty). Today was my first time washing dishes outdoors. Tonight I am planning to hand wash my clothes...who knows what new things I'll be doing tomorrow!

1 comment: