Thursday, July 14, 2011

Appreciation





Since Being in Ghana there are a few things that I have learned to appreciate that I have never considered the importance of before. Here is a list of things I am thankful for:

1. Clean water. I have never had to think about my relationship with water until I came to Ghana and understood how sick one can become from unclean water. The schools have students who have river blindness, worms in their stools and other diseases who are often absent because of their inability to access clean water. There are signs all over Ghana informing people of the dangers of unclean water...but people are still interacting with water in ways that are harmful to their health. I have to use bottled, or boiled water, with all things that go in my mouth...even my toothbrush. As small as that sounds, it is a lot of work.

2. Running water. Bucket showering, washing dishes and washing clothes has really made me appreciate the ability to turn on a faucet and have water flow freely.

3. Washing machines . As of this week, I have hired someone to wash my clothes. Hand washing all of your clothes is hard work.

4. International products. I am not a big soda drinker, but Coca-Cola is the only product that I can find that is exactly the same here and back home. It just feels good to pop a top and know what to expect. (I love Coke as a company and I want to work for them someday...)

5. Developed roads. Vehicle fatalities are the highest cause of death in Ghana. It is largely because of the undeveloped roads. Even the roads that are paved are largely unattended and full of pot holes.

6. Privacy. There is no sense of private time in Ghana. All spaces are shared. All items belong to the community. I have a new appreciation for my own space and my own property.

7. Developed Underground Sewage systems. The sewage flows openly the side of the road. Yuck

8. Expensive mattresses. Sleeping on the floor is hell. My back is killing me. I hope this damage is not irreversible. I said expensive mattresses because cheap mattresses can be as bad as sleeping on the floor. My group has started calling me the "Princess and the Pea" because I have purchased several sleeping mats and have them stacked, but every morning I still complain of back pains.

9. A stable government. Although Ghana is a safe country, many surrounding countries have issues with military coups and government overthrows. I cannot imagine living in that type of instability.

10. Employment. I know that the unemployment rate in America is the highest it has been in many years but we, as a nation, have NEVER seen real employment issues (even during the great depression) like African nations. I cannot begin to explain the social, emotional, environmental and familial issues that come from lack of work. Appreciate your job.

There are about 20 more things I could list. but these are my top ten.

There are a few things in Ghana that make me laugh. I love the way that everyone pretends to be very religious and traditional, but in reality most people do whatever they want...especially the young people. Christina is different from most of the women in Ghana. She has her own small apartment and takes care of herself. Most women in Ghana go from their parents house to their husbands homes. I think it is very important for all people to live on their own for a while. It is very revealing. I never knew I could kill a bug until I lived on my own. When I had to choose between not sleeping or killing the spider and getting my peace of mind; I got up and killed the spider. I developed a strength I never knew I had. Now I don't need a man, or anyone else for that matter, to kill bugs for me (unless the bug is really big or has several legs). Anyway, Christina has her own place and Gabrielle "rests at her house when it is too late to return home". Gabrielle rests at her house so much he has clothes there...So they totally live together. But as long as they pretend that they don't, everyone in Ghana is fine with it. Gabrielle is preparing to move to Canada to get his doctorate in theology. He is a very smart man. His dissertation is going to compare the way Jesus healed and the way ministers claim to heal today (like laying hands on people, speaking demons out of people and sprinkling them with holy water or oil). Interesting. Too bad none of those ministers are actually Jesus...Ha! Ghanians really believe in that stuff though. Sorry, I got of track. So, Christina did well on an exam and I asked did they plan to "celebrate" (hint, hint) tonight. They laughed. I took it a bit further. I whispered, "A little fornication never hurt anybody." They laughed harder. Then Gabrielle corrected me, "I don't like to call it fornication. We call it co-habitation". I guess it sounds nicer and less sinful. I dig it. Do know I have made several classless jokes that have been made funnier by my use of the word "cohabitation". So many things are hidden or quieted here. I hear the locals use the word "shame" a lot. It keeps people living in constant fear or guilt.

Oh, one of the members of my group is a homosexual male. Ghana, as a country, does not really accept homosexuality. Fortunately, it is not illegal. In Uganda, homosexuals are executed. No questions asked. In Ghana, they are shamed, isolated, ridiculed or teased. Anyway, this group member isn't really out there, but he is unquestionably gay. Christina and Gabrielle asked me why he stands with his hands on his hips. Gabrielle wanted to know why he hangs out with the ladies. I dismissed their questions with vague responses; but they already know, they do not need my confirmation. Anyway, this homosexual group member carries a "fanny" with him when we go to town. This morning, I looked through his fanny for some lotion and I found the funniest things. He had his wallet, lotion, snacks for the day, Vaseline that he applies to his lips every 10 minutes, and a big ass switch blade. I pulled out the blade in shock, "What is this knife for?!". He laughed, "You never know when you will need to cut somebody." I laughed too...He is a smart young man to know that he might need that blade here in Ghana. Hell, I am pretty sure he carries that blade in America too. Kind of makes you think; huh?

1 comment:

  1. I just returned home from studying abroad in Ghana and I approve this message.

    -Tyquan Ward

    ReplyDelete