Saturday, July 23, 2011

Tubthumping

This weekend is our last weekend in Kakumado. We decided to go out and celebrate our last weekend and a group members birthday. It was an awesome night. The night began with a nice dinner at the restaurant beside the Cape Coast Castle. We then moved on the "Oasis beach resort". It was rather slow because they had a local African group performing and the performance lasted too long. So we decided to go the the "Elmina Beach Resort". Beside the beach resort was a little hole in the wall club that we decided to stop by first. We ended up spending the majority of the night in that small club. It was awesome. They played the same five songs all night and we danced to them as if they were new every time. The hit song of the night was "Waist and Power". It was played over 20 times and each time the dance floor filled and everyone, Black, White, Yellow and Red, jumped around and threw up their beers and yelled, "I need an African Man!". It was hilarious. Perhaps that is the sign of a true hit record? I drank 3 "Club" beers. Club is the local beer. It is nice. The only problem was that the beers were served luke warm so after dancing for a few songs the beer became hot and nasty and I had to buy another one. Perhaps that was intentionally done by the club owners? The club did not have any bathrooms so everyone walked around the building and peed outside. Halfway into the night I finally got the confidence to join the locals in public urination. The beers lessened my anxiety and filled my bladder enough for me to finally get the guts to go outside. I hiked up my dress, made sure my feet were far apart, squatted in horse stance, looked over my right shoulder to make sure the coast was clear, looked over my left shoulder to ensure no one was around, gave myself a short pep talk, and then, I, Adrianne Pinkney the great, pissed outside. I went a total of 4 times before the night was over. By the end of the night I was public urination pro. We exhausted our fun at the hole in the wall and decided to make our way over to the "Elmina Beach Resort". Upon walking in the hotel, we were informed that we would not be allowed in the club because all of the girls had on flip-flops. We were joined by a lot of other Westerners who would not be admitted and allowed to spend our ready-to-blow-Cedi's in the club. We made a big scene and were really obnoxious about being denied entry. The bouncer eventually walked away from us. I asked a local girl if I could buy her shoes. She looked at me in disgust. But, hey, you never know until you ask? On our way out, Gabrielle accidentally dropped his entire bottle of beer smack dab in the middle of the lobby. A bit buzzed, All of us decided to run from the scene of the crime. The hotel security chased us and told us to come and clean up after ourselves. Christina turned back to pick up the bottle. I grabbed her hand and dragged her away. We were all laughing really hard. I didn't want to finish my last hot beer so I threw the bottle on the side of the Resort wall. We laughed even harder. My sides hurt. Being a renegade is awesome. We returned to the hole in the wall club and to our surprise a lady had set up an omelet selling stand. We bought omelets from the lady. That omelet was the best late-night-side-of-the-road-greasy-alcohol-absorbing-sobering-up food I have eaten in my life. While sitting on the side of the road I started to worry about getting malaria from the late night mosquitos. Then, a big police truck pulled up to the omelet stand and 3 scary looking police get out with machine guns. A scared/drunk White guy gets out with them. They buy him a bottle of water. The guy is not handcuffed. He drinks it. He gets back into the car. They drive off. It was very sketchy. Very scary. I then thought; being a renegade is stupid. I will save all my future lawless activity when I am in the fair, flawed, developing, unfair, sexist, racist, classist, justice system in America. I trust it much more than the one here in Ghana. I asked Chris and Gabrielle what they thought happened to the White guy with the police. They both shrugged their shoulders in disinterest. They said the police pick up drunk, high, White people all the time and scare them into paying really high bribes so they will not go to jail. They got that kid water so he could sober up enough to give them whatever money the wanted before they dropped him off at home. Based on what I saw, it seemed they were telling the truth. That guy had been at the hole in the wall with us just a few hours before I saw him in the car...We decided it was a good time to go home. All the White people had left, so it took us forever to catch a cab. They don't stop as much if you are not a Bruni. I was starting to get worried about the mosquitoes. Gabrielle finally stopped a cab, but it was going to charge us an exorbitant late night fare and Gabrielle let it pass us by. That happened about 4 times before somebody got the bright idea that we might actually just have to pay a lot to get home. 7 Cedi's later, we were all dropped off safe and sound. I went to sleep with a big smile on my face. It was a great night. This morning I woke up and made myself a big sloppy omelet...I just wanted to ensure that it would be another great day in Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment