Sunday, December 25, 2011

Chrismas in Kenya!

5 Good things about being in Kenya for Christmas:

5. Christmas here is more about God, and people, and less about stuff. There are not Christmas trees, plastic reindeer, lights, and snowmen...and there are not even gifts really. Everyone goes to church and then goes home and has dinner with their families. It is more like Thanksgiving (which happens to be my favorite U.S. holiday) in which people share their time and lots of food. Today, Angela's family is going to kill a goat. I told my mom this last night and she said, "They are going to kill a goat on Christmas?! Well, that is not very Christmas like." Hilarious.

4. People sing a lot on Christmas and they sing all day! I love the music! The harmony! The drums! It is glorious! The hotel we are staying in is surrounded by 4 churches. Today I went and sat in the church that I felt had the best singing. They were singing in another language, but lucky for me the song was repetitive so I was able to sing-a-long. The church with the best singing was a very poor church filled with people who were obviously very poor too; however, they were rich in praise...and boy could they sing! I even stayed for the prayer. Everyone prayed privately. A lot of people cried...a lot.Even though I could not understand what they were saying...I totally understood. There is a lot of suffering on this continent. I could feel it...that made my heart really sad. I have always been a bit critical of speaking in tounges and shouting and all other religous activitiy that I consider chaotic...but here, I felt that it was necessary. Where there is so much suffering and pain and poverty and dying, it seems perfectly normal to just rock and cry or shout for no apparent reason or even repeat the same meaningless words over and over for hours until your soul is okay. I really liked the Christmas morning church service.

3. The Christian Christmas does not dominate the country. I feel a genuine respect for other religions in Kenya. I really see Muslims and Christians and Hindus really living and working together. Even though Christianity is the dominate religion and the major corporations and banks are closed, all the stores did not close today. No one assumes what you believe and says "Merry Christmas" all the time. It is the holiday season but it is not blatantly shoved down everyone's throat. I like that.

2. The weather is beautiful.

1. In Kenya, Santa is Black! So, all who know me well know that I am in love with Coca-Cola, especially it's marketing. I think it is the most effectively and successfully marketed global product. I so want to work at Coke one day..Anyway, Coca-Cola is responsible for branding the popular image of Santa Claus. According to their website, "Most people can agree on what Santa Claus looks like -- jolly, with a red suit and a white beard. But he did not always look that way, and
Coca-Cola advertising actually helped shape this modern-day image of Santa. 2006 marked the 7th anniversary of the famous Coca-Cola Santa Claus. Starting in 1931, magazine ads for Coca-Cola featured St. Nick as a kind, jolly man in a red suit. Because magazines were so widely viewed, and because this image of Santa appeared for more than three decades, the image of Santa most people have today is largely based on our advertising." Anyway, I say all of this to say that another reason I love Coca-Cola as a company is because they made Black children's Santa Claus Black...even though he looks like the White one dipped in chocolate, I still very much appreciate this kind gesture. I only wish little Black children in the states had this image of Santa as well...

...but even with all of this, none of this is a great as being with my family and friends on Christmas day. I miss you all! Merry Christmas! I LOVE YOU!

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! Great entry about your Xmas in Kenya. How was the goat? Something about fresh goat on xmas day sounds exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed you for Christmas Adrianne. Thanks for calling 4 times on Christmas day....the best gift of all. Love you!

    ReplyDelete