Thursday, December 8, 2011

She Washed My Dirty Drawers

I have been wanting to post about the work I am doing but I am hoping to post with pictures and I am having a problem getting pictures uploaded. So I will post about that later...

Today, I have almost burned a bridge with my favorite person in the house, Emily (the HIV positive househelp). I have been planning to do my laundry for the past few days but now that I am volunteering everyday, I have not been able to do my laundry while the sun is up (cause I need to hang it on the line when it is done) so I have not done it. Joesphine told me her maid, Emily does the laundry and I should just give my laundry to her. I bundled up my clothes, took them to Emily and went off for another day of volunteering. A few hours later, I was delighted when I came home to find my clothes clothes washed, ironed and neatly folded on my bed. Great!

A few hours later...
"Knock, Knock". Came the knock on my bedroom door.
"Adrianne we need to talk", Josephine said with a stern look on her face.
I immediately begin to wonder what did I do wrong, because I know I am the type of person who just messes up in her sheer existence. I couldn't think of anything so I braced myself for the worst, "Emily is very upset about the laundry. You left your underwear in the laundry and that is a sign of great disrespect in Kenya."
My heart sank. Is that why there are always underwear hanging in the bathroom? I just thought they didn't have enough to wait til laundry day! I was supposed to wash my own drawers!
"Oh my God! I am so sorry. I had no idea!" and I really didn't considering that is something that they failed to mention in Lonely Planet Kenya addition. Dammit!
"Why did she wash them?! She could have left them out. I would have washed them myself." I asked with genuine concern.
"She was being nice to you because she knows you are a foreigner. But your actions have made her think that you think of her as low. She is really hurt." Had I seriously accidentally told Emily to kiss my ass...or wash my ass. That's horrible! I am a horrible person! Josephine goes on, "when a women starts menstruation she doesn't allow others to clean her panties. Only men and children have their underwear washed by others". (Men and children? Are these the helpless people of the society?)
"Oh. Well just so you know, I hadn't menstruated in any of those panties." yes, I felt the need to say that, "but I get the point. Should I go apologize?"
"It would be nice but the language barrier is a problem," Josephine reminded me that Emily does not speak any English and I speak no Swahili.
I sat on the edge of the bed and thought about what I should do. AH HA!
Quick as a flash I grabbed some of the panties Emily washed and ran down the stairs. I found Emily in the kitchen washing dishes. I turned her around and showed her the panties. Then I got the most pitiful look on my face, which wasn't hard cause I really felt bad, and said I am so sorry over and over. I gave her hugs and kisses and kept saying I am sorry. She understood. She hugged me back and laughed at my ridiculous display. Josephine laughed too.
I think we might be friends again.
I am now going to bed...but before I sleep, I must respectfully take the time to hang my hand washed drawers amongst the others in the bathroom.
Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment