Monday, December 5, 2011

Important Conversations

Kenya is not Ghana. I now understand a why many people refer to Ghana as "Africa for Beginners" as it is consistently cited as the safest country on the continent and maintains one of the lowest HIV/AIDS rates in sub-Saharan Africa. All that said, Josephine picked me up late today so I was unable to start volunteering; however she did take me to meet Ms. Mary who is the director of the center where I will volunteer. Ms. Mary informed me that they are currently hosting a seminar for children between the ages of 9-15 about health, but mostly about safe sex. She said, "children are doing it earlier and earlier and we have to get them before it is too late". I am to help with the session. She also told me not to pack a lunch, and to plan to eat whatever is served at the center. I am down, although I have to admit a slight bit of concern with my personal health. Not to be a jerk, but I have to give my stomach some time to adjust (all of my fellow developing nation travelers would support me on this). Anyway, the center is not the same place as the orphanage that I originally thought I would work in. The orphanage is located in the center of Kibera and I cannot go there because it has been raining a lot, and that means that the sewage has come up; therefore, the roads that lead deep into the slum, where orphanage is, are literally shit. I cannot say that I am disappointed about my inability to volunteer there because today Ms. Josephine had a talk with me in the car that let me know I might not be ready for Kibera, at least not on my own. "Adrianne," Josephine warned, "you need to lock up your things when you leave my house tomorrow. My housemaid, Emily is very sweet and I trust her completely. She found out she had HIV/AIDS in 2001, she contracted it from her husband, and she has had a hard time finding work. She works for my family and she is so glad to be here with us. She is in very good health and has not needed to start ATV's, but she might need them soon...Well, my brother's sister is also working for our family and I do not trust her at all. You need to lock your things in your bag. Also, when you go into town tomorrow don't take a lot of money or important things because crime is very high in Nairobi in December." I asked why, "I really don't know why but it just is". Since that conversation I have gotten online and looked up some information about Kenya. Yes, yes, I probably should have done this before I got here, but those who know me well know that it just not how I do things. So forgive, love me, and move on to the next sentence. Kenya is one of the poorer countries in Africa with a very high percentage of its population living in poverty. High poverty results in high crime. Hell, people have to meet their basic needs. Also, the HIV/AIDS rates in this country are a bit high. Finally, the political situation in the country is not that great; there are some issues with Sudan and along the Ethiopian boarder. So with that said, I plan to continue my journey using the caution that I had to use on this mornings walk with Furaha, Josephine’s nine-year-old daughter:
"Furaha, I am going out for a run. Do you know a path that I could take to circle the neighborhood?"
"Yes, come I will show you. It is muddy because of the rain. You might not be able to run."
"Well, show many anyway, because I need to go for a run eventually."
"Okay."
"Wow, you are right, it is really muddy out here. I cannot run like this. I can barely even walk. I will walk on the grass because that it easier."
"Okay." Five minutes pass "Adrianne, you are very brave"
"What? What would make you say that?"
"Because you are not afraid of the frogs and snakes in the grass."

No comments:

Post a Comment