Sunday, December 18, 2011

She's Your Queen to Be!



Angela is here! A big part of the reason she came to Kenya is to be in her cousins wedding. Today was the big day! I have always wanted to attend an African Wedding and Saturday I was able to do just that. So, I will admit I am a bit critical of weddings because I think they totally objectify women and display them as property to be "given away", they assume this idea of purity as desirable and all other realities as deviant (wearing white and being unveiled), in Kenya they still pay dowry's, and overall the whole thing can be a bit overdone/expensive/silly. I mean it is a ceremony, so when I think about most ceremony's parts of them are laughable. It is hilarious to watch people become so unnatural and so deliberate and intentional about their actions and words. All and all, it is a big scene....Now that I have totally criticized the entire wedding, I will say that the bride and groom looked very happy and it felt good to participate in the celebration of the love between two people. The bride was just beautiful. She looked like a doll baby under her snow mountain of a dress.
The couple live in Seattle, Washington and are both nurses. They have dated for over 8 years and finally decided to get married.Angela was a bridesmaid.And I was able to take a picture with the bride and groom because the photographer called for "all people from America" for a photo and I was forced by friends get up there.So the couple decided to have their wedding in Kenya because it is drastically cheaper to have a HUGE wedding. This was by far the longest wedding I have ever been to. Everyone had to introduce themselves (what the hell?), and present their gifts to the bride and groom (long presentations in the form of song, dance or money and all), Pray over the bride and groom (and boy did we pray!) and do a whole lot of other things that made the wedding and reception last a total of 10 HOURS.Salma and I were bored so we talked about other things, like the other guest were doing because all of us were delirious, and we harassed the flower girl for pictures and for her veil. Salma has wedding and baby fever, which is not surprising considering that she just got married herself, and she can't wait to have a big "church wedding". We danced a bit. Ate dry cake. And went home just as it started to pour down raining.

Overall, it was a good day but I will declare that as my first, and last, African wedding. It is a bit too much for me.






1 comment:

  1. Adrianne, is this your friend Angela from Pepperdine? Wow!

    ReplyDelete